As of April 2013, all customers (excluding mobile broadband) are set up to roam automatically within 5 days of joining the network.
Bill Pay customers who use My eir can also check this on their dashboard once logged in.
You will need to add 00353 and drop the first 0 of the number you’re calling. For example; 0035385XXXXXXX.
All countries are listed alphabethically. Please choose a letter below to see your country and international dial code..
|Bosnia & Herzegovina||00387|
|British Virgin Islands||001284|
|Central African Republic||00236|
|Congo (Democratic republic of)||00243|
|Democratic Republic of Congo||00243|
|Korea - North||00850|
|Korea - South||0082|
|North Mariana Island||001670|
|Papua New Guinea||00675|
|Samoa US (America)||001684|
|Sao Tome & Principe||00239|
|St Kitts & Nevis||001869|
|St Pierre & Miquelon||00508|
|Togo (Togolese Rep)||00228|
|Trinidad & Tobago||001868|
|Turks & Caicos Islands||001649|
|United Arab Emirates||00971|
|US Virgin Islands||001340|
|No Country Codes for 'W'|
|No Country Codes for 'X'|
In most countries, simply dial 171. If this doesn’t work, you will need to dial into your mailbox by adding ‘5’ after your prefix - for example 085 5 XXXXXXX. You should then ‘interrupt’ your greeting by pressing the # key before inputting your voicemail password.
Click here to chat to an agent online. Alternatively you can call us on 00353 1 4307312. eir care is available Mon - Fri 8am – 8pm and Saturday from 9am - 6pm.
We've devised some tips to help you control your data costs whilst abroad. However, if you would prefer to turn your data roaming off, our smartphone help tool can guide you on how to switch it on and off.
We will also notify you if you’ve used a significant amount of data. Learn more about data roaming text alerts.
- WiFi - try to use WiFi as much as possible to avoid unnecessary data charges.
- Be aware that activities such as browsing YouTube, uploading/downloading photos, streaming or downloading music or opening email attachments use a lot of data so ensure you're connected to WiFi for these.
- Applications - if using a smartphone, be aware that some applications update in the background which can use data. Check your application settings to ensure there are no automatic updates turned on while using roaming data.
- Google Maps - save regions where you plan to travel before you go, or on WiFi. Visit Google Maps help for more details.
- Add-Ons - Check out our great value data roaming add-ons which will help you save on data costs.
- Check how much data you've used while roaming by texting BALANCE ROAM to 50104
Yes, we have data roaming notifications and a spending cap in line with EU data roaming regulation. Our spend cap is automatically applied to your account and has a limit of €60 inc. VAT.
When you land in your destination, we will send you an SMS to advise you of the rates applicable to your plan. Once you click 'Yes' on this notification, you will then be able to access the internet. You will then receive a free SMS when you have reached €48 worth of data (80% of the €60 cap). Once you reach the €60 cap another notification will appear asking if you would like to continue to use roaming data.
Notifications are also sent as part of EU roaming when you reach 80% and 100% of your 1GB EU data allowance. Find out more about Free EU roaming.
If you'd prefer to switch off your roaming data our handy smartphone help tool can show you how.
Contact us as soon as possible to have your service barred so we can ensure you do not incur any charges if your phone is used. You should also report the phone lost/stolen to the local authorities. This is particularly important if you plan on claiming from an insurance policy.
Chat to an agent online or call us from abroad on 00353 1 4307312.
There are a number of ways you can top up while abroad.
eir Mobile’s top up service (which allows you to top up by text, online or by ringing our top up service) will work in most countries while roaming. It needs to be set-up before you go so make sure to call us on 1743 and we'll register your card details. Alternatively you can top up using Online banking or by contacting us directly in eir Care.
Once registered, you can top up using the following methods:
- To top up by text, free text the following to 50006: Top up, followed by a space, followed by the amount you want to top up by, then a space and the last 4 digits of your laser or credit card number. For example, if you want to top up by €10, and the last four digits of your card number is 1234, you would text 'Top Up 10 1234'.
- Free phoning 1743
- Using our Onlinetop up service
There could be a number of reasons why you may not be able to get service on your phone.
Here are some troubleshooting tips:
- Try switching your phone off and on again - this may fix the issue. If not, take the battery out of your phone while it's still switched on. Where this isn't possible (e.g. iPhones), put your phone into airplane mode for at least 30 seconds, then switch it back to general. This will perform what's known as a 'location update' - giving a fresh connection to the network.
- Do a coverage check- a network outage will always affect more than one person. You'll know there's an outage if other customers are having the same issue in your area.
- Check what 'Mode' your phone is in - some phones have what's called an 'airplane' mode which restricts any network activity on the phone. You may have accidentally set your phone to this mode.
- Pop your SIM into another eir Mobile phone - if the issue persists it sounds like your SIM card may have died. Call into any store with photo ID to get a replacement sim with your existing mobile number on it. If your SIM works in another eir Mobile phone it would appear that the problem is with your phone. See our Returns and Repair policy or please refer to the returns and repairs policy of the phone provider you purchased the phone from.
- Have you been roaming recently? Did your phone work abroad but is not working now? It's possible you haven't disconnected from the foreign operator's connection. You'll need to contact us. Is your mobile part of your eir bill? Live Chat with a member of the eir care team or view our alternative contact options. If you are an eir Mobile Pay As you Go customer or receive an eir Mobile bill for your service use the eir Care chat service or view alternative contact options for eir Mobile customer care
- Have you requested to move from the eir Mobile network? If so - you'll now need to use your new operator's SIM.
Roaming in the EU
From June 15th, you can use your plan across the EU, just like you do at home. This means you can use your any network calls, texts and a chunk of data from your plan while travelling in the EU. You can also buy and use the same data Add-ons like you would at home and use these while you roam in the EU (subject to fair use).
Here’s what it means for you:
Calls & Texts: You can use your any network calls and texts anywhere in the EU and they will be deducted from your allowances as they would at home.
Data: If you have a data allowance at home, depending on your plan you can use all or a chunk of this data while you roam in the EU. Please make sure to check what you have available at the time of roaming. You can do this by following the instructions in the text we’ll send you when you arrive at your EU destination.
For more information on roaming in the EU, visit our roaming section and click on the country you are visiting.
For a full list of all our plans (including mobile broadband ) and applicable EU data allowances please visit our pricing section.
Unlimited YouTube, social networks and messaging will be deducted from your available EU data allowance while you roam. Free Meteor to Meteor calls and texts will not be available while roaming and any usage will be deducted from any available allowances. If you have no available allowances you will be charged at standard rates.
Don't worry, we will send you an alert when you have used up your available EU data allowance. Once it’s used up, here are the options available to you:
- Buy a data Add-on (you can also use this when you get home)
- Buy a day pass
Or if you have any data remaining from your domestic offer allowance, you can use this at a surcharge rate of €9.47 per GB (€0.00925 per MB) (Based on regulated cap of €7.70 per GB ex VAT)
And remember you can always turn on your WiFi if want to save your data allowance for when you get home.
From June 15th, existing voice, text and data roaming bundles will end and will be replaced by roam like at home, which allows customers to use their allowances domestically or while roaming within the EU (subject to Fair Use Policies set out in EU Roaming Regulations). This is in line with EU Roaming Regulation requirements.
No, from June 15th the rates outlined on our roaming pages will automatically apply. Roaming is automatically enabled for all customers in the EU so there is no need to call us. Once you land in your destination just power on your phone, it’s as simple as that.